Thursday, July 21, 2011

Brandywine River Arts Museum

This week we spent two days down at the Brandywine River Arts museum in Chadd's Ford.  I was researching our artists for next year's artist study and I discovered that one of our favorite artists, N.C. Wyeth, made his home in Chadd's Ford.  I figured that there must be a museum there and low and behold there was!  I had heard of this museum, but I did not know that it housed the paintings of N.C., Andrew, and Jamie Wyeth; grandfather, son and grandson.  We love N.C. Wyeth's illustrations for some of our favorite books such as Treasure Island, Kidnapped and Robinson Crusoe.  I was positively giddy when I found the complete set of the hardback classics that he illustrated at a used book store a few years back.

Realizing that we could go see the originals of these masterpieces, we were all very excited.   I signed the kids up for art lessons and away we went.
The outside of the museum was gorgeous itself and filled with wildflowers, and had it not been 100 degrees we would have spent more time outdoors walking on the trails along the river.
Each floor of the museum though had floor to ceiling windows on the side facing the Brandywine River so we could enjoy the view from the cool and watch Grace sweat it out while she worked on a sketch.  At least she was in the shade.

The rest of the kids had their class today.  They had a fabulous tour and then a craft time which was great fun.

I was not allowed to take pictures in the gallery but I couldn't pass this one up.  The kids are listening to their audio tours standing in front of Jamie Wyeth's pig.  I didn't know a pig could look so glorious but this painting was awesome and everyone's hands down favorite.
Jamie Wyeth's Farm Work display is up until September, so check it out if you get a chance.  The kids were fascinated with the paintings in that gallery.

We also loved seeing Howard Pyle's art work, a friend and contemporary of N.C. Wyeth, and also a very talented author and illustrator himself.  His books are favorites around here.  Otto of the Silver Hand, Men of Iron, King Arthur and the Knights of the round table, The Wonder Clock etc.

One fun bonus today was that we got to see Victoria Wyeth, the granddaughter of Andrew give a tour of some of her grandfather's paintings.  That was pretty exciting and she was an amazing tour guide. She wasn't what you would expect an art museum tour guide to be like and was VERY animated and lively.

I wish I could show you more pictures, but I guess you will just have to go and check it out yourself.  This museum is one hopping place and had lots of visitors both days that we were there, but it isn't overly crowded.  It is definitely worth a trip!

1 comment:

  1. I eagerly wait for your blogs. They are always so interesting. You are giving your children a wonderful education. I wish you would have also shown your own artist's work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...