Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hans Herr House and Biblical Tabernacle

It must seem like all we do these days are field trips, doesn't it?  With the baby coming in just a couple weeks now I am feeling like I need to cram in all these field trips before that happens.  I don't know why.  It isn't like I am never going to get out again.  Maybe it's a homeschool mom's way of educational nesting. 

I did talk Christian into going to this one with me though as it was going to be all day and almost 2 hours away so don't be too impressed.  I didn't do it by myself :)  It was nice to have him with us since he has been working a lot of Saturdays lately trying to get in all his side jobs before the baby.  

The first stop was the Hans Herr House, the oldest homestead in Lancaster Country, established in 1719.  We were there with our homeschool field trip group for one of their school frolics which included lots of hands on demonstrations having to do with colonial life and culture of the Swiss-German Mennonites that lived there.
The kids favorite stop was the blacksmith.  They loved the blacksmith shop at the Daniel Boone homestead as well.  I am not sure what they like so much about it but we had to drag them away.
Just look how enthralled Asher is.

I personally was pretty fascinated with this lady spinning flax into linen thread.   They grew the flax on the property and showed us all the steps they went through to turn it into fabric.
Christian ended up talking to this very informative fellow about spinning yarn and how much better quality clothes made with hand spun yarn are and how much longer the fabric will last.
Asher got to try his hand at a wringer washer.

Everyone tried a little scherenschnitte.  Try saying that 5 times fast!

And the kids enjoyed a covered wagon ride.


The next stop was the Mennonite Information Center to see their representation of the biblical tabernacle.  This was one of those places where they don't allow you to take pictures but if you are in the area it is definitely worth a stop.  The tour guide was very informative and I thought it was very helpful to have a visual now for when we read through the old testament about the tabernacle.

Since starting this post I have now acquired a 3 year old little buddy here who is asking me a million questions so that's all for now!

4 comments:

  1. What a great trip! We enjoyed the presentation of the tabernacle very much too. There is a nearby Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society that I have spent time in doing genealogy research. My dad's family were from Lancaster and York County and early on they were Mennonites that emigrated from the German palatinate for religious persecution.

    Scherenschnitte is one of my favorite crafts. I have several posts on my blog and have a few projects in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to the Hans Herr house around Christmas time... for an evening tour. Fun and Beautiful! Great memories.

    Believe it or not... I've never been to the Taberancle. It is something that Scott and I have talked about.

    Can't wait to hear about your little one's arrival. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. was the Hans Herr house close to my house? Looks like fun! We actually got to see people making flax into linen at Landis museum too! I thought it was really cool. Your ticker on the side say you only have 16 days to go till baby comes! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen your scherenschnitte Mrs. H. I love it and it looks like it would be a relaxing hobby.

    Amy, it was still another 45 minutes from your house right near downtown Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...