Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Welcome Claire


For those of you who hadn’t heard, Claire Ruth was born last night at 8:21pm, 2 weeks past her due date at 8 pounds 10 ounces.  We were so thankful to have been able to have her at home since I was reaching the end of my time limit of when I would be allowed to do that.  That was the hardest part about being overdue for me was not knowing if I would have to end up in the hospital with  an induction and all that would entail.

I promised my midwife when she left last night that I would not go downstairs until she came back for her visit on Wednesday but I was having a really hard time not going downstairs and posting pictures.  Poor computer illiterate Christian managed to post a Facebook status update for me last night to let everyone know she was born but trying to explain to him how to past pictures was impossible.  Thankfully I was able to borrow my in-law's laptop so here Claire and I sit happily blogging away.  Now I have one less excuse to go downstairs.  I have a very hard time staying put but it’s for the best I guess.
 I think she likes blogging.
She's got a nice head of black hair.  Asher was the only other baby born with any hair.
Maybe I am prejudiced but I would call that a smile.
She certainly brings a smile to our faces.

For those interested in the birth story here it is.

Yesterday morning my midwife came over to try to break my water in hopes that would get things started in the least invasive way.  Unfortunately Claire’s head was so low it made it very difficult.  She also said that I must have membranes of steel since she has never not been able to break someone’s water before.  I guess that’s a sign of good health so it’s a good thing but it wasn’t helping us in this case.  So we decided to just wait things out for the day and see if even just the attempt would jump start things.   I did start getting mild contractions but they weren’t regular at all and barely noticeable so the midwife went home around 1pm and told me to call when I knew they were for real.    

By 5:00pm I had had a couple good strong contractions but they were still 15 minutes apart.   I figured I should call her though since things were likely to go fast once they really got started.  She got here around 5:30 and we hung out and chatted for about an hour or so while they slowly got closer and more intense.    From there it’s kind of a blur.  I got in the tub for a bit which is such a help and very relaxing and went through the most intense part there.  Christian told me later that I growled something about never having anymore babies but I don’t remember saying that.  I think he made it up.  Birth’s a funny thing.  I do remember him laughing at me at one point for something I said and me splashing water in his face but who likes to be laughed at when they are in labor anyway?  Of course I apologized later and he just laughed again.  He’s been through this before.

Even though I had a water birth with Asher it was just not working for me this time and I needed to get out.  I think I needed gravity.  It worked and a few minutes later with one contraction she came flying out.  I was so happy this time to be able to “catch” her myself with a little help from the midwife.  I had always wanted to before but was too out of it to try.  This time the pushing part seemed easier and I felt much more in control then I ever had before.  It was wonderful and an answer to prayer.

She is doing great.  She is a champion nurser and latched on right away.  She has great color and so far is pretty happy and contented.  The rest of the kids are thrilled that she is here and love her to pieces.  They are also pretty excited that she is a girl because it keeps the pattern going and that was important to them.  :)  We kept referring to her as a she the whole time I was in labor too which is funny.  Somehow with each of our babies we just knew.  Thanks for you prayers

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you got to have a home birth and everything went well! WElcome Claire! Your gonna love your new family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christy, I just had to laugh so hard picturing you "growling" words and splashing Christian with water. I can just see it!! I'm so glad you have Kathy as your midwife. I was gonna tease you about getting up and taking the baby out already, but I refrain :)
    Seriously, a wonderful birth story! Oh, and I love the part about the steel membranes. I can totally hear Kathy saying that!
    Thankful for all your answered prayers too.
    Blessings to your beautiful family! Miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy and clan, she is beautiful! Congratulations! We are very happy for you. Your adorable baby reminds us a lot of S when she was little - so cute!
    We love you guys and we remember always that we are here in part because of you guys and how God has used you in our lives!
    Blessings, hugs, and say hi to Christian and the kids for us!
    Chris and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful pictures! Wonderful birth story, too. We're so happy for all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, she's absolutely perfect!! I'm so happy for you and your family. May God bless your new little life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you all! You were a lot more calm than me - I was freaking - looking at the page several times a day every day - so glad everything is OK - can't wait to see her! Love, Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH!!!! PRAISE GOD FOR NEW LIFE! Calli and I were checking so many times through the days, and she prayed for you each night. What a beautiful baby and a beautiful strong mama <3 I totally laughed out loud when I read about you growling at Christian and him just laughing. God is good and Claire Ruth is a great name :) Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! She is beautiful and it is great to hear that she is here. :)

    Nate and Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Congratulations again! I'm pretty happy about the pattern holding out too :P She is adorable, I can't wait to see her in person! I'm so glad you were able to have the birth that you wanted. That's funny that you felt you needed to get out of the tub, that's exactly how I felt with Katy, it felt like I just had to sit up.
    I wish you a happy and speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations y'all! Claire is beautiful! Thanks for sharing her birth story - I always love those :) Like Amy said, have a speedy recovery! Glad to hear you're upstairs resting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...