Monday, May 21, 2012

The garden tour

Since my mom and sister did a little tour around their yards on their blog, I thought I would do the same.  Christian has been doing most of the weeding and mulching of the beds and trees this year due to having a little one around, but thankfully he loves it.
One of the places I am most happy with is our patio area.  I love the climbing hydrangea on the chimney and the dianthis (pinks), and Sweet Bay Magnolias smell absolutely divine.  Christian also power washed the bricks so it looks extra nice right now.
The brick walk up the front is coming along slowly but surely.  The bricks were free, but time to finish isn't.  :)
We like to sit on this bench in the evenings and watch the sunset or talk to the neighbors while the kids play.  I love the Wine and Roses Weiglia behind it.  And no, the pump doesn't work anymore.  :(
The Knock Out Roses by the gazebo are really taking off!

Now I have to apologize to Christian, because the next four pictures are of trees that he either grew from seed or acorn or dug up as a tiny sapling in the woods merely a few short years ago, and now look at them!
(Pin Oak)
(Maple) 
(Beech)
 (Willow Oak)
They seem to be growing better and faster than trees that we bought at the nursery!  So save your money and grow from seed!

I love these geraniums in the front and the Paperbark Maple on the left.
The Kousa Dogwood is a slow grower, but nice because it blooms later than other Dogwoods, and has some fun red edible fruit that the kids like to make pretend salads with.
I bought this American Honeysuckle vine last year at the Wildflower preserve since it is not invasive like the Japanese honeysuckle variety and it has beautiful red flower that attract hummingbirds.  I already saw some flying around it last year, so hopefully I see more this year as it gets bigger.
The garden is coming along nicely.  To be honest, I really did not feel like doing the garden this year.  It can be a lot of work weeding and watering but we watched this fantastic video recently that made us get excited about starting again.  One thing that we are doing differently is we stopped rototilling the soil as it really is not good for it in the long run because it disturbs the soil's fragile micro-organisms and beneficial bacteria, and creates more weeds by turning under the weed seeds.  I'm telling you that our soil has never looked better!  It's like potting soil and I would feel guilty not planting anything in there!
If you are a gardener, watch this movie!  It is well worth your time.
The first batch of lettuce is ready for harvest.  Fresh salad tonight!
I am hoping the peas don't give up on us since it is starting to get warm, and the flowers are just now blooming.  It didn't help that it was so dry for so long.  :(
Grace and her Grammy have been working on her little flower garden next to the veggie garden.  She is so happy with it and really enjoys working out there.  She is happy that she will have flowers to pick and make bouquets with this summer.
Aren't these California Poppies pretty?
Once all the work is done, a well deserved snooze in the hammock is in order.  It's a lot of work around here in the spring but we love it and are so thankful to be able to live here.

10 comments:

  1. Love the garden tour! Everything looks lovely! I always love seeing cutting gardens. That honeysuckle vine is interesting... I had been thinking about getting another Clematis vine for the front but maybe that would be nice. Christian will have to give Ricky his secret for transplanting trees... the one he tried to plant didn't do so well :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful...beautiful. It's work but so worth it. Good job, daughter!
    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    Did Ricky try to transplant a big one? Seems like the smaller the better. They grow faster than the big ones anyway since they go through less of a shock when being transplanted. Christian just pulls the trees out of the flower beds where they popped up when he weeds and saves them to transplant in the yard. It drove me crazy at first because they were so tiny and had to be mowed around but it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thanks for posting. SO pretty. So nice to see how things have grown! My kids are always like, "WOW! IT's SO green there!". I say, yeah, and humid. Remember, we live in the desert - no humidity is great, too. But, we do love seeing pics of all the green back home! How blessed you are to live there! Great tips on planting trees from seed/acorn. And good job, Grace - nice flower garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's funny! Ricky did get this one from one of our neglected flower beds. But maybe it was too big?? It was about the size of Joanna :P

    Oh and I forgot to say that I love your patio area! Looks like a lovely place to sit :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the virtual garden tour - all so pretty - hard work, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gardens are gorgeous! The patio looks amazing, too. I really want to watch that video; it looks really good. I'd love to see another post like this later in the summer, showing how everything has grown. I know, like you need another project... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The post later in the summer wouldn't be as pretty, and would most likely involve more weeds since it isn't as much fun to weed in the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to come back and tell you that I watched the movie. Unbelievable! I want to share it with everyone! Now I'm really curious to see how your gardens turn out, using his method. Maybe there won't be any weeds later in the summer! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...