Monday, August 6, 2012

Moosehead

I had been posting pictures of our vacation on Facebook, but since I permanently deleted my account a few days ago I need to do a complete post here for the sake of my memory.  And by the way if you ever see me on Facebook again please come find me and lock me up with the crazies.  I will never never go on that cursed site again.  And now that I have it in writing there's no going back.  The bad far outweighs the good in my mind and it just isn't worth my time.

Anyway......I digress.

This was our third year going up to Moosehead Lake, Maine as a family with my parents.  Christian and I coincidentally both grew up vacationing there with our families, and it is a little slice of heaven on earth for us.

It takes a good 12 hours to get up there so we try to leave by 3:30am.  The nice part about leaving at that time is that the kids are either sleeping or zoned out until breakfast time so the first 1/3 of the trip goes pretty quickly.  We also get to appreciate a gorgeous sunrise which I rarely see. 

The best part of the trip is always coming over the crest of the hill and getting your first glimpse of the lake.  It is at this point that you hear the angels singing.

You can not beat the sunsets over the lake.

The kids kept a vacation journal this year to record each day's event with a picture.  It's nice for them to look back and remember vacation this way.

We and my parents also spent a lot of time reading.  We had a lovely porch area over-looking the lake where we read or did puzzles.

And of course we hiked, and hiked, and hiked.  This year it was Mt. Kineo, Boorestone Mt., Burnt Jacket Mt., Eagle Rock, and Little Moose.







Some of the kids needed a bit of a pep talk to go on all those hikes but once they got to the top they were always glad they did it.

Since we burned ourselves out hiking the first week, the next week we pretty much just stayed around the cabin and swam.  It was really neat to see the kids gain confidence in swimming this year.  They went from needing goggles and life jackets to being able to jump in and swim unassisted in the "deep end."
You are rockin' those goggles girl!


"The Flying Frank", named for my grandpop, the first man of canoes.
Canoeing is a great way to lull a baby to sleep.


This loon liked to hang out around our area of the lake and we didn't mind a bit.  Our only other wildlife sighting was a momma bear and 3 cubs on the way to go hiking one day and a moose with her baby crossing the road in the dark on the way home, and I don't have good pictures of either of those.
Doesn't the house look so "New England?"  Sigh.  It was so hard to leave, especially when we knew we were leaving low 80's weather with a lake breeze for low 90's weather and there would be no lake to jump in.

But we left thankful.  Grateful for two very refreshing weeks to recharge and spend time together as a family.

8 comments:

  1. You beat me! Good post and good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. If we weren't going next weekend this post would have made me cry! It's just he best isn't it! I especially liked that you mentioned what it's like to drive over the hill and see the lake.
    And you know that Im happy for you about your Facebook freedom=)
    All your pictures were great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad you are able to go this year. I asked my mom if she knew if you were coming
    up and she said she didn't think so. I wouldn't have wanted to make you cry!
    As for Facebook...it's funny how putting restrictions on yourself makes you feel more free. But it's true. I did the happy dance the minute I clicked "permanently delete account." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful. (that weather sounds dreamy too....I keep telling Justin I am ready to move north)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pics! Sounds like a wonderful vacation.

    Christy . . . I've got a question or two for you, and would love if you could email me a response: laurel@ajourneyoffaith.net

    Hubby and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary. We have plane tickets that can get us back east (NY, WA DC, Boston,) We have never been to New England, and have always heard about the Fall Colors there. So, we thought that might be a good time and place to celebrate our anniversary.

    When is the best time to come for Fall Colors?

    What are things we should see? Places we should go?

    We would probably spend a week there, so ANY thoughts, hints, tips would be GREATLY appreciated. We love scenic . . . we love the out-of-doors . . . but hubby is also a complete History Nut, so those types of places are good, too. :) We have a limited budget . . . but these plane tickets that we must "use or lose". So, if getting there is "free", we should have enough for reasonable priced hotels and restaurants, etc ...

    Always LOVE your "field trip" posts, so thought you might be the perfect resource for these questions. :)

    Look forward to hearing from you.

    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Christy- not sure how I ran across your blog but I did and I am so glad because these pics of Moosehead make my heart happy. There is just something so settling about coming over that last hill and seeing the lake. I hope I get to have that experience again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shannon! Apparently I'm not the only one with those feelings. :) Moosehead has that magical affect on people. Hopefully you do get to go up there again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...