Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A brief update is better than none

I have been meaning to blog, I really have.  It just keeps getting put off because the longer I wait the more that happens and the less I know where to start.  I have to start somewhere though, so here we go.

Grace is still apprenticing at the Peter Wentz Farmstead and volunteered at the annual sheep sheering day in April.  She ended up at the tape loom weaving table, which she liked, but she did end up a bit bored because the lady she was apprenticing with was about 1000 years old and not exactly super helpful.



So she ended up wandering over the the popular egg scratching lady's table and had fun learning how to scratch eggs.  These are not wooden eggs but eggs dyed with red onion skins and carefully scratched with an exacto knife with beautiful patterns.  I like this idea for decorating Easter eggs much better than the modern way ,so this is how we did our eggs this year.  It was a lot of fun!  Apparently they will dry out inside and last forever as long as they don't get cracked.  





A couple weeks later we headed to Pennsbury Manor for their sheep shearing day.  We don't really care so much for the sheep shearing part since we have seen so much of it, but we do enjoy the colonial reenactment part.  Pennsbury Manor was interesting because it was much older than the Peter Wentz Farmstead, being that it was the home of William Penn.  It was beautiful property and such a lovely day right after that huge two day rain storm that we got.

Interestingly, I think this "joyner" guy was their favorite.  I think it was because he was the most interesting and was the best at explaining his craft.





We also extended our Morris Arboretum membership for another two years and have been down there twice this spring already.  I attempted to get a new header picture at our favorite state champion katsura tree, but it didn't turn out as good as last time due to poor lighting and poor child placement, so we will have to try again.  It is always a fun and relaxing time there though and they had an interesting birdhouse display going on around the garden that was fun for the kids.  I love how Morris keeps it educational for the kids with scavenger hunts and passbook stamps at different stations around the arboretum.






And back on the home front.  We bred our two rabbits and now have the most adorable baby bunnies.  I don't think I realized how adorable baby bunnies are, but they are so stinkin' cute I can't stand it!  



That's all for now!


2 comments:

  1. A few things:

    1. You guys are such great parents!

    2. Your posts make me appreciate my parents because I went to so many of these places growing up, and I now realize that it took a lot of effort for my parents to plan and implement those trips with five little kids!

    3. I'm trying not to heap guilt on myself for not taking my kids to all of these places. Our circumstances are different. Repeat 10 times and start believing it! ;)

    4. Those eggs are great! I've tried a lot of different dyes, and the red onion skins were some of the most vibrant. I'm not sure I'm ready to hand my kids x-acto knives yet, but I may try it!

    5. People say that their arms ache to hold babies. I've never experienced that ache, but I honestly wish I could reach in the monitor and hold one of those sweet baby bunnies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love lists!

    1. Thanks.
    2. It does take a lot of effort and hopefully our kids will say the same as you someday.
    3. Absolutely true. We did nothing for the 2 1/2 years that Patrick was here. I think I am trying too hard to make up for lost time.
    4. If you don't let you kids do it, you should still try. I found it strangely relaxing and addictive myself.
    5. I put more baby bunny pictures on just for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...