Thursday, November 20, 2014

Aiden's robotics tournament

We had a crazy busy day on Saturday.  Christian was doing a last minute state tree climbing competition, Aiden had a Vex IQ robotics tournament, and Grace had her violin lesson which meant a lot of driving for me because they were in total opposite directions.  Aiden just joined this local robotics club this year and this was his first tournament, so I felt bad that neither Christian and I could stay to watch him, but thankfully a good friend was able to stay and cheer him and his team on.
Aiden with the robot his team made, waiting for inspection.
Since Aiden is new to this and there were a lot of other experienced kids and parents I was just hoping he wouldn't get last place.  We were really all more focused on Christian winning his competition since it would mean a trip to Florida this winter.

I got a call from Christian in the afternoon telling me that he got 2nd place with 250 points, and the winning guy got 251.3.  How close can you get?  Every year he comes close, but it's never been that close!  One of these days...

So, being distracted by that news I neglected to call and see how Aiden did in his tournament.  When I went to pick him up in the evening, I asked my friend how they did and she said they got 1st place!  Aiden actually had the controls at the end and stacked the last block at the last second.  It sounded quite exciting, but Aiden being the chill kid that he is seemed somewhat nonplussed by the whole thing.
(photo courtesy of my friend because I wasn't there at the time)

The more we talked about it though and praised him for all his hard work he got more excited.  They beat out 12 other teams, many who were a lot more experienced than they were.
Holding the team trophy.
This has been such a great opportunity for him and he absolutely loves it.  Christian takes him every Monday night for practice and it has been a great father/son bonding experience for them even though robotics is totally not Christian's thing. 

Last year a team from our local group made it to the international competition in California, so it is exciting for Aiden to think about where his hard work might take him!

3 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm curious, where is this? It looks like the guy in the picture to the left is someone we know (Josh Benner)?? Is this the Upper Perk Robotics? You know this is run by (or somehow started by) Beth Roth (Earl Falls' wife)? Actually, I'm not exactly sure her involvement, I just know she posts stuff on facebook about it. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Aiden. And I'll bet you're happy the trophy wasn't pink!!!!!
    Love,
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! Like his alpaca ribbon! I'm sure he is. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...